Friday 17 May 2013

The Other side


When I was commuting via the Delhi Metro last week, I realized that forgetting my I-Pod at home was a huge oversight! I was in a crowded coach and having not found a seat was perched near the door. Feeling frustrated at the thought of having to stand for another hour till I could find a seat , I tried to ease my mind by focusing on my novel ‘Desirable Daughters’ . I had only gone through a few pages when a loud complaining voice coming from seat next to me attracted my attention. “I don’t know what her problem is yaar, she is always interfering in whatever I do. I get up in the morning at around 7 a.m. and by the time I reach the kitchen , she is halfway through making breakfast of her choice. She makes sure my husband knows that she is the one making his breakfast and tiffin. She calls me at office to ask me what to cook for dinner, what do I know??!!! Why bother me at office? It is as if the entire household is under her control and my husband too and now she wants to control my office time too! I feel so belittled by her behavior!!” A lady in a Green Sari was talking to the lady sitting next to her. She had animated expressions and was visibly upset. “How will I spend the rest of my life?” she sobbed. The lady next to her said “ Everybody has problems with their mother- in –laws. Don’t take it so seriously.” ‘Ohh Saas-Bahu  drama!!! I can’t take this!!!’ I groaned internally and started looking for another space to squeeze in.

I thought maybe I’d find a seat or some space to stand in the Ladies coach so I started to make my way through the sea of people who gave me nasty looks as I pushed through and pulled myself through the coach. I finally found myself in the relatively less crowded Ladies Coach. ‘Phew!!Bach gaye’ I thought as I found a tiny space on the berth. With half of my body on the berth and half just hanging in the air, I looked around.I was sitting (if you can call it sitting) beside two elderly ladies and they seemed to be deep in discussion , “ I am just trying to make their lives easier.I know Nandini gets tired at the Office so I make breakfast and Neeraj’s tiffin so she doesn’t feel the pressure early in the morning .But I feel she gets upset as soon as she sees me. I try to consult with her about dinner but she asks me to not bother her at work.I would also love to sit and not do anything but I want them both to enjoy their lives .I don’t know what to do!” she sounded sad and then she turned to her friend and said “How will I spend the rest of my life?”

 

I started to feel uneasy and cursed myself for forgetting my saviour , my I-Pod, at home. I got up from the seat and stood near the door. The thought on my mind was that of confusion! I wish we could be more open towards communication with each other!! As I stood there, the elderly lady got off at the next station. I looked at her walk slowly with her friend and just as the Metro pulled away from that station I saw the lady in Green sari spot the elderly lady ,  she halted and gave her a fake smile….

 

10 comments:

  1. so true....communication is the key to any relationship and also understanding the perspective....at least trying to.There is a writer and a fantastic and keen observer lurking somewhere in your persona...bring him out...very interesting read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Snehal for taking out the time to read my posts and your comments mean a lot to me :)... and Thanks for the encouraging compliment!

      Delete
  2. So true mam........... though its a interesting relationship a mother-in-law and DIL have.... one fails to see the cold war that take place among the two.

    I liked the story..... and its very ironic because i am experiencing this thing everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adiey :) ...share your observations too :)

      Delete
  3. nice story Ma'm,relationships are always ruined because of misconceptions,and this story says it all !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more Kiran :) Thanks for the feedback...

      Delete
  4. Great going mauls ....waiting for many more to come. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear 'Bani'...looking forward to your feedback on all :P

      Delete
  5. Nice story...keep writing...:) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Supriya :) ...keep encouraging, really appreciate it! :)

      Delete